Saturday, October 19, 2013

Weigh-in Wednesday #37 & #38 - From victory to emergency

Here we go again.  It's just about 4 days after Weigh-in Wednesday #39...so I had better catch up here by telling you about WIW #37 and #38.  You've probably memorized this part if you have been following my blog for a while, but for you newbies...voilà, les results: 
  
Suzie & Stéffi Spitfyre celebrating 8 years of wedded bliss!
Starting weight:  292.1 
1st weigh-in:  286.8
2nd weigh-in:  280.1
3rd weigh-in:  276.4
4th weigh-in:  274.1
5th weigh-in:  270.6
6th weigh-in:  266.2
7th weigh-in:  262
8th weigh-in:  261.4
9th weigh-in:  257.7
10th weigh-in 251.4
11th weigh-in 247.3
12th weigh-in 243.6
13th weigh-in 241.7
14th weigh-in 235.4
15th weigh-in 235.4
16th weigh-in 227.7
17th weigh-in 223.5
18th weigh-in 223.5
19th weigh-in 221.6
20th weigh-in 221.6
21st weigh-in 215.6
22nd weigh-in 213.2
23rd weigh-in 207.9
24th weigh-in 206.6
25th weigh-in 200.1
26th weigh-in 199.7
27th weigh-in 197
28th weigh-in 191.3
29th weigh-in 189.9
30th weigh-in 180.7
31st weigh-in 183.4
32nd weigh-in 186.4
33rd weigh-in 186.3
34th weigh-in 174.8
35th weigh-in 174.8
36th weigh-in 170.1

And on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013...I hit a number, I don't think I've seen since possibly 1997, maybe even 1996.

37th weigh-in 169

Weigh-in Wednesday #37 and this girl went back to the 60s!  A shagadelic 169lbs!  Oh, behave!  Feeling groovy, baby, yeah!  At this weight in the past, I think I was wearing chunky high-heeled platform loafers, bootleg polyester pants, and some sort of baby-T...and possibly listening to the Spice Girls.  Haha...and because I couldn't find any of those old clothes (except for my jean cut-off shorts with the longest rise ever and all whole slew of Canadian flag patches sewn onto the butt)...I, of course, decided to pull everything out of my closet and try it on, as you do.  I think it's awfully fortuitous for me that this whole hipster fashion movement seems to be loosely based on various items of clothing that I wore to university.  Having said that, do I want to wear it again?  NO.  Can I physically wear it again?  YES, but who wants to wear high-waisted second-hand cut-off vintage 1995 Levis 501 shorts?  Hipsters.  Am I one?  Nope - my black framed glasses are much too cat-eye for all that nonsense.  So, the lower my BMI gets, the smaller my closet becomes.  However, the shoes that I bought in Paris at 217 pounds in 2009, finally fit NOW.  So, I ask myself, why did I have to lose an additional 47ish pounds in order to slip on those leopard print wedges and black taffeta and red grosgrain ribbon peep-toe pumps?  How fat were my feet?  What kind of cruel trick of gravity was that?  I certainly wasn't storing 47 pounds in my feet, was I?

38th weigh-in 170.2

Gahhhh!  Welcome to weight loss in the real world for someone who has already lost 123 pounds.  Sometimes you lose a pound, sometimes you stay the same, and sometimes you gain a pound.  And sometimes you're able to blame something for gaining a pound. 

This week, I will unabashedly blame the retention of fluids in my sprained knee.  Yes, I sprained my knee.  The cool thing is, I did it in taekwondo.  Should I be proud of a "sports injury?"  I think so.  Just as I was getting good at kicking, and staying in control whilst doing so...I went up for the quick kick, connected with the pads, and then my right knee buckled out from under me and suddenly I was on the ground.  PANIC.  First thought:  Don't cry in front of the ninja and everyone in class.  Second thought:  Not this...again!

The last time something gave out on me was on holiday in New Orleans last year.  I was walking along a lovely flagstone sidewalk on my way to breakfast and my foot wobbled and I rolled my ankle.  I remember thinking, ohhhhh crap.  Then I got up off the street (that, thank gods, had probably been sprayed cleaned with bleach the night before) and tried to walk it off.  And no big deal, I was up and running again for an hour or so.  Not running, but I was able to walk the 3 or 4 blocks it took to get to the French Market.  Then as we ate our breakfast (okay, it was more like lunch...it was NOLA, we got up late!  And the night before we'd been out celebrating Hallowe'en) of gator burger, jambalaya, and crawfish mac n' cheese, respectively, my ankle started to swell and turn a lovely shade of purple.  1900 bucks later we'd been to Tulane University Medical Centre, and I was told nothing was broken, it was a bad sprain, and that I should rest it, elevate it, ice it, use the tensor bandage, here's an aircast, and try these crutches.  I got told by two separate doctors that I needed to lose weight, and no body thought to tell me that using crutches is very difficult if you can't support your body weight with your arms.  I was screwed.  Then we went to the zoo a couple days later and we rented a ride-on scooter.  YAY!  That was fun, however, Stéphane found it tedious...as I honked and bonked into him pretty much all afternoon.

My reaction to the aforementioned recent pop-buckle-splat was to try and get up on my own, but I gladly took the arms of the ninja after realising that I couldn't, in fact, get up on my own.  I hobbled to the bench at the side of the gym as my internal alarm sounded.  I sat there with my instant ice-packed leg propped up on a giant sports bag, and I worried myself into a tizzy.  

My personal ambulance, chauffeured by my husband, took me to emergency après class.  I was admitted to hospital, but not before I was asked if this were a work related injury.  

My answer,  "Well no.  I'm not paid to be a ninja at this time."  

We'll see what happens in the future.  For now, I'll be resting and icing my knee.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your ankle feels better soon! Good for you for making it to the 60's!

    ReplyDelete